Steak (through April 2017)

I should start with my general favorite, steak. I admit to liking filet above other cuts and medium rare/medium to other temperatures. So here are my preferences as of time of writing.

Specific to this opinionated guide, Steak: 10/10 is the American Wagyu from John Howie Steak in Bellevue, WA.

Independent / Local Chains

212 Steakhouse

(3 visits since Dec 2014)
This is the strangest steakhouse I have tried. It's apparently the only place on the East Coast that serves "real" Kobe beef, and they have the statue to prove it. I still tell the story of my first visit, during which I accidentally negotiated down the price of a bottle of wine and the server asked my wife if she were a CPA because she ordered precisely. Despite the mixed service, the steak is the star, and it does not disappoint. Their Kobe is extremely expensive: expect to spend at least $100 per steak. The preparation is simple as it should be. The wine list is effective but unimpressive.

Steak: 9.5/10
Service: varies
Fun: 7/10

American Cut

(2 visits to TriBeCa as part of a large group)

Steak: 6/10
Service: NA
Fun: NA

Bar Americain

(5 visits since Dec 2013, including NYE 2016)
Not a pure steakhouse, but it's the only place I've put steak sauce on my steak.

Steak: 7/10, +1 for excellent sauce
Service: 7/10 (points lost for one server trying to talk me into a wine I didn't want)
Fun: 8/10



Benjamin

(1 visit in 2016)
Steak: 6/10
Service: 5/10 (apparently I'm not manly because I want a filet-- while this may or may not be true it set the tone for the evening)
Fun: 5/10 (loud without being fun loud)


Delmonico's

(1 visit to Beaver St. location in 2015 for lunch)
Steak: 4/10
Service: 6/10
Fun: 3/10 (maybe lunch is a bit of a downer?)

Quality Italian

(2 visits since Dec 2016)
A friend at work said this was his favorite place, and another said I chose poorly by not getting the chicken parm. Still, I went for the steak. My second visit was marred by inattentive service.

Steak: 7/10
Service: 7/10
Fun: 7/10


The Palm

(4 visits to 2 locations since Nov 2013, one as part of a large group)
I'm unimpressed. Also it's kind of a chain, but I'll let it live here.

Steak: 6/10
Service: 8/10
Fun: 8/10

Strip House

(3 visits to 3 locations since Mar 2014, including NYE 2015)
I happen to like the salt+pepper char they give their steaks. My wife doesn't. But this isn't her medium, so I'm going to write how much I like this place.

Steak: 8/10
Service: 8/10
Fun: 9/10 (probably influenced by NYE!)

Wolfgang's

(2 visits since ? 2014)

Steak: 7/10
Service: 9/10
Fun: 6/10


Chains

Del Frisco's

(5 visits since Jul 2014)
Yes, it's a chain. But it's excellent. I have been to the location near Rockefeller Center perhaps four times. Steaks are prepared expertly; service is friendly and formal. If someone says "let's go get steak", this is what I'd suggest. Ruth's Chris was my favorite chain until I tried this-- they take it to the next level. Everything is over the top.
Steak: 8/10
Service: 8/10
Fun: 9/10



Morton's

(1 visit in 2014)
Do not remember, but that suggests that it's not a 10/10.

Ruth's Chris

(2 visits to midtown location since 2015, numerous visits to other locations)
Consistent.
Steak: 7.5/10
Service: 8/10
Fun: 8.5/10


Comments

Popular Posts